+61 2 9161 9999

Partner Visa


With the aid of this visa, a partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or a citizen of New Zealand who meets the requirements may stay in Australia. Both a short-term and long-term partner visa application is made jointly. Your dependent child may be listed on your application for the dual-purpose temporary and permanent visa. If you did not include your dependent kid in your temporary visa application, you can still include them before the immigration officer decides whether to grant your request for a permanent visa.

Two visas fall under this category-

Combined Subclasses 820/ 801 (apply in Australia)

Partner Visa (Temporary) Subclass 820 is a temporary visa that can be used to apply for a permanent partner visa. At the time of application, the applicant must be physically present in Australia. This visa allows the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian native, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand national to temporarily remain in Australia. Getting this visa is the first step in getting a permanent partner visa (subclass 801). The immigration officer will determine your temporary visa application when you are in Australia with your spouse or de facto partner who is an eligible Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or citizen of New Zealand. Initially, temporary partner 820 visas are granted, allowing the applicant to remain in Australia for 15 to 24 months. During this time, individuals can apply for permanent 801 visas if they desire to reside permanently in Australia.

Eligibility -

  • If you previously had a visa revoked or denied while you were in Australia, you might not be qualified for this visa.
  • Satiate prerequisites for relationships. Whether you date someone who is the same sex as you or not is irrelevant.
  • Abide by the moral and physical fitness requirements set out by the Australian Government.
  • A sponsor, such as your spouse or common-law partner, is required.
  • When you submit a visa application, you must be at least 18 years old.
  • When you apply for a visa and when it is approved, you must be present in Australia.

Partner Visa (Permanent) Subclass 801 -

You must maintain your marriage or cohabitation with your sponsor and hold a temporary partner visa (subclass 820). This visa allows you to stay in Australia indefinitely.

Eligibility -

  • There must be a temporary companion visa (subclass 820)
  • You need to be involved with your husband or de facto partner on an ongoing basis unless the connection stopped in a special circumstance.
  • You might still be qualified for it if your relationship ends or if your sponsor dies after we have granted the interim visa but before we have finished assessing the permanent visa.

Combine Subclasses 309/100 (Apply overseas)

If a person is the spouse or de facto partner of an eligible Australian, New Zealander, or permanent resident, they may live in Australia under the terms of the Partner (Provisional and Migrant) visa (subclasses 309 and 100). The provisional 309 visa is only valid briefly in contrast to the permanent 100 visa. Prior to applying for a migrant 100 visa, the candidate first receives a temporary provisional 309 visa that allows them to stay in Australia for two years.

Partner provisional visa (Subclass 309)

Getting this visa is the first step in getting a permanent partner visa (subclass 100). You have to be leaving Australia at the time you apply for this visa. You may continue to use the visa up until your application for a permanent visa (subclass 100) is decided upon or you are compelled to withdraw the application. For applicants, this stay normally lasts 15 to 24 months.

Eligibility -

  • The application filing and decision-making processes must take place outside of Australia.
  • You must be a permanent resident or the spouse, common-law partner, or eligible New Zealand citizen of an Australian citizen.
  • You must be at least 18 years of age in order to be eligible for this visa (applied to both spouse and de facto partner)
  • If your partner is under 18, you must have a sponsor who must be an eligible citizen of New Zealand, an Australian permanent resident, or one of those three.
  • You must uphold certain moral and physical requirements.

Partner migrant visa (Subclass 100)

People on a temporary Partner visa are typically eligible (subclass 309). It is an extended-stay visa. With this visa, you can apply for citizenship in Australia and invite qualified relatives to do the same.

Eligibility -

  • A temporary companion visa is required (subclass 309)
  • You must be involved in a de facto or continuous marriage, barring unusual circumstances.
  • You must abide by moral and physical standards.